Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Middle School Student Office Visit

Yesterday I posted a little insight on middle schoolers. Today I want to shed some light, for those who aren't familiar with these unique individuals, on the way they communicate.

 
A unknown student comes to your office...

STUDENT: (says nothing as they pop their head in and out of your door awkwardly)

YOUTH PASTOR: Hello.

STUDENT: Hi!

YOUTH PASTOR: Can I help you...with something?

STUDENT: Um, my name is Tommy...and my mom said that if I ever had any questions I could come talk to you, and I was wondering...do you play Modern Warcraft 4?

YOUTH PASTOR: Uhh, no I can't say that I do, but...

STUDENT: Because it's awesome and I just got the expansion, and my friend Billy says that if you hit 50,000 XP then you get access to this cool map pack and...

YOUTH PASTOR: Tommy, do you go to the local middle school?

STUDENT: No, I'm home schooled.

YOUTH PASTOR: Yeah, I figured. So do you do many activities then since you can't join any school teams.

STUDENT: No, not really. I do my school work in the morning, and then I play MW4 in the afternoon, unless my mom has to go somewhere, like right now she is at the women's Bible Study down the hall, so she brought me with her. But I tried to tell her that I could stay at home by myself and she could just take my little sister, but she says that I don't need to stay at home all day in front of the computer, but I don't know why she says that because Modern Warcraft isn't a bad game and there isn't a lot of blood or anything, except for this one bad guy at the end of the game who has these bloody bones as part of his costume, but I've already seen him like 4 times, so I'm not scared or anything, and then there...

YOUTH PASTOR: You know, if you aren't doing anything tomorrow night you should come to our Wednesday night youth group, I think you would really like it. There are lots of other kids your age there.

STUDENT: Wednesday nights I can't, I have Boy Scouts.

YOUTH PASTOR: (face palms self) I thought you said you don't do any activities.

STUDENT: No, not school ones, but on Wednesday we go to Scouts, and Sundays are my home school bowling league, and then I also play with my MW4 clan on weekends. It's really cool because we have these two guys from Germany, and...

YOUTH PASTOR: That's is really cool Tommy. Hey, listen, I need to make a phone call real quick. Would you mind maybe stepping out for a minute and coming back a little later.

STUDENT: Yeah, but did anyone ever tell you you look like that guy from Myth Busters?


That is seriously how half of my conversations with random teenagers end. Not kidding, see what I mean below.

 

What are you most interesting conversations with middle school students?

No comments:

Post a Comment