Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Jesus Juke'd

Last Sunday night at youth group there were two funny guys who kept interrupting my lesson with random tangents and jokes. It actually went so far that one of the boys girlfriend's asked him to stop talking. I was able to practice a good deal of patience with them but was admitably disappointed with the behavior of my students that night.

Until the end when I was telling the students that at an upcoming bonfire party I would be telling a true story of demon possession. All the kids where inquiring if I was being honest or if this was going to be one of those "joke" stories where they find out at the end I have just been pulling their leg. I told them that I was absolutely serious but they still doubted. Finally I said, "I swear I am not making this up!"

That's when one of the jokesters said, "Doesn't the Bible say something about not swearing. That you should just let your 'yes' be 'yes', and your 'no' be 'no'." And then the other one chimed in that he was pretty sure that the verse was James 5:12 (which ends up being right).

BAM! Jesus Juked!!!

Have you ever heard of this? Christian Blogger Jon Acuff first coined this phrase about two years ago on his Blog "Stuff Christians Like". It is essentially when you say something in a lighthearted manner and then somebody blindsides you with a spiritual rebuke to what you said. I had never personally experienced the humility of one of these before, and I never would have thought it would have been at the hands of a student, but man when it happened my jaw dropped.

Has this ever happened in your youth group? It is such a strange mixture of edification and "aww snap" that they are almost impossible to keep to yourself. Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment