Wednesday, October 31, 2012

R.I.P Santa Claus



Yes, it is Halloween and I am writing about Christmas! Although October 31st is a day that my family looks forward to with anticipation every year, something recently trumped it's hype...the reality of Saint Nick's existence.

Now before I get too far in let me preface this by saying that we have a very intelligent little girl, and last year she almost caught us setting up all the presents downstairs. We knew that it is only a matter of time before she would find out, and better to come from us then some kid on the play ground.

So, my wife had been talking to a Christian friend of hers about how they held Santa Claus as myth in their household from day one with their children, but clearly taught them that there was a Christ loving individual who really did give individuals gifts in secret and that we can still practice that spirit around the celebration of Christ's birth. We were totally on board with raising our new born in this mindset, but how would we bring our seven year old to this untimely fact?

It happened on a car ride (which I was not part of). There was a story, some tears, questions, more tears. Finally there were signs of  a breakthrough in understanding, then she said to her mother, "So Santa is in Heaven, and it's his spirit that delivers all those gifts!" More emotion filled talk was had, and while I didn't ask for all the details I assumed that she finally understood the matter because one of the first things she said to me when I got home from work was, "I know it's you who eats all the cookies and milk."

A week later things seem pretty good, until last night when she asked me, "Daddy, do you think I will get a prize the next time I stick something under my pillow for the Tooth Fairy..."

What interesting stories do you all have from your kids learning the truth about stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment