Thursday, September 27, 2012

Illustration Abomination




Last week our pastor started off the service with an illustration about his oldest daughter and said, "I can do this because she now lives over a thousand miles away". It got a laugh, but I thought it was pretty indicative of how often pastors' families get put in our weekly talks, especially without their consent.

A few years ago someone showed me the parody music video "Before He Speaks" (a spoof of Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats"), and it proves that for some nothing is sacred when it comes to finding a personal example to drop into your presentation.

Well in case you didn't know: Your family is NOT meant to be your exegetical punching bag!

Before I posted my blog last week about "The Look", I had my wife approve it. The month before I wanted to entertain some youth with the story or how my seven year old colored her hair with nail polish, but at the time knew it would have been embarrassing for her so I didn't. I am constantly fighting the urge to throw around some stories about my mother-in-law...

Actually that last part is made up, but the truth is that I draw boundaries with my family and illustrations. They don't need to feel ashamed, or awkward at the fact that people have been privied to their extra-personal information. They need to feel secure and respected, knowing that my relationship with them isn't just another tool for ministry. If you feel like there is a story that is just too valuable to not use, talk with them first and get their permission. If they turn you down, respect it. In the end everyone will be happier.

With that said I need to go finish a lesson about how getting gum stuck in your hair is like being caught up in sin...

No comments:

Post a Comment